22 March, 2012

Jeep and Cathy at Ober/Anderson Gallery


I got to the gallery a little late as I stopped off at Tavern of Fine Arts to draw for a bit and say hi. As a side note, I put up another portrait on the wall that wasn't in the show opening. It is a portrait of my friend Boyd Ingalls.
Alright, so when I arrived it was a full room of artists. I always like to see what work Daven Anderson has added anyhow, as well as the work of Lisa Ober. I can't believe how detailed she develops her pastels. Beautiful!
Our models Jeep and Cathy took some very sensitive poses that inspired many good sketches in a variety of mediums. I have drawn Jeep before, but never he and his wife together. It was very natural how relaxed their poses became together. I think the attempt to convey that chemistry was a good challenge. I only got two painted sketches out of the evening, in one Jeep faced me and Cathy faced away, but the hint of her legs coming from behind him and their hands clasped were enough to make the connection between their forms.
A reclining pose made a good balance with the standing pose. This evening I used the new shipment of handmade paper that I received from India for my sketches. For a while I was concerned that after Dick Blick discontinued carrying such products that I would not find it again. I was fortunate enough to be able to import an order of sheets myself from Pune, India. I am willing to share some of the paper for a decent cost with other artists in the local area. I recommend the paper myself in contrast to the more predictable machine -produced surface that is otherwise available. It takes getting used to the hand made paper, but once I did, I have fallen in love with it's qualities.

More Pictures of the event are over on pictus-art.com.

No comments: